Monday, June 21, 2010

Tax on Cigarettes Sold on New York Reservations to be Voted on Today

Today, state lawmakers in New York will be voting on legislation that would make cigarettes sold on Indian reservations to non-Indians taxable.

The proposed law, which is expected to pass, is included in New York Gov. David Paterson's latest in a series of emergency spending bills aimed at decreasing the state’s $9.2 billion deficit.

The bill also would increase the tax on a pack of cigarettes by $1.60, making the total per/pack tax $4.35 (the highest in the nation), and would raise taxes on other tobacco products.

Tobacco sales is major source of income for tribes and tribal members in the state. To say the least, they are outraged by this proposed law.

J.C. Seneca, owner of Native Pride, which sells cigarettes and other tobacco products on the Seneca reservation, was quoted as saying in an article published by YNN Rochester on June 19, “We have treaties that have guaranteed us tax immunity, and, certainly, they need to uphold those treaties; they need to recognize and honor our sovereignty and leave us alone.”

Seneca also told YNN that the actions of the governor in the last week alone have set tribal relations with the state back two decades.

3 comments:

  1. The trend continues even during these enlightened times. So Native Americans should expect to see treaties, compacts, and binding agreements thrown out the window when the economy goes south? Native Americans must pay for the sins of poor fiscal policy and oversight of the financial systems of the nation? How about if Native Nations retroactively tax the local, state and federal government for every rescinded past and future promise in order to make up for the overwhelming disparities in Tribal health, housing, education, and social services and to bring every tribe up to the 21st century standards of living?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They (the non-natives) target natives for every little crumb of tax money, yet these same people continue to encourage the illegal masses to swarm across our borders and immediately make them eligible for every conceivable hand out--many which are NOT available to Native Americans.

    I have no doubt that "white" america will break every Treaty and compact they have written--history proves that! They won't change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a NDN from AZ and up to last week we bought our smoke's from J.C. Seneca, owner of Native Pride,and the Seneca reservation and have been for some years. I would rather buy from other tribes than go to a store in town. I'm really sorry to see it end.
    I've lived through many illness's in my life, having to give up all but one of my bad habits. Started smoking at 21 and now 64. My kidney's are failing, but my lungs are clear of anything. And I believe it is because of the Native Cigarette's not having all the stuff the white man's do. Just leave me alone and let me smoke my Native's! I bought almost a deep freeze full when I found out it was happening! Don't know what I'll do when they are gone, maybe I'll have passed on to the reservation in the other world, HA!

    ReplyDelete