Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sen. Dorgan Will Not Seek Reelection

U.S. Senator Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.) announced yesterday that he will not seek another six-year term.

Dorgan, representing North Dakota in the U.S. Congress for almost 30 years, is chair of several Senate committees, including the one on Indian Affairs (in which he was serving his second term).

Over the last year, Dorgan was making plans to run again, but, as he said in a press statement issued yesterday, he recently started wrestling with the question of whether committing to serve another seven years (next year and the six-year term) was the right thing to do.

“It has been a long and wonderful career made possible by the people of North Dakota. And I am forever grateful to them for the opportunity,” Dorgan said. “Although I still have a passion for public service and enjoy my work in the Senate, I have other interests and I have other things I would like to pursue outside of public life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment